Call for Artist Proposals
Gallup MainStreet Arts & Cultural District is seeking artist proposals for temporary installations on the construction fencing of our downtown renovation project, Coal Avenue Commons.
Artists are asked to create designs for a stretch of chain link fence, utilizing weaving techniques and the materials of their choice. We encourage proposals for engagement of the community and youth in your project through creative uses of technology and/or COVID-safe practices.
- Each artist can utilize 2-4 consecutive chain link fence panels; panels are 6’ (h) x 12’ (l) each
- Materials must be approved by Gallup MainStreet Arts & Cultural District. Some examples of materials include varieties of yarn, vinyl, and paracord.
- An artist stipend of $750 will be provided, as well as $250 for materials
- Installation will take place in February and March 2020. Please note that this is an outdoor project and there is an active sidewalk, businesses, and construction zone all present.
- Proposals should take into consideration the following:
- Themes of resilience, revitalization, and community
- The art and culture of the Gallup region
- No vulgar messages or imagery will be considered
- Artists will be asked to contribute to project documentation using social media
- Click here for some project examples
Proposals must be submitted by February 15, 2021
If you have trouble accessing the form, call 505-879-0366.
About Gallup MainStreet Arts & Cultural District: Gallup MainStreet Arts & Cultural District’s mission is to bring together all segments of the community to foster civic pride, promote economic vitality, and preserve and develop the cultural and historical resources of downtown Gallup. Learn more about our organization and our arts initiatives: https://gallupmainstreet.org/art-this-way/
About Coal Avenue Commons: Coal Avenue Commons is an infrastructure initiative to transform two blocks of Coal Avenue in Gallup, NM, into a vibrant plaza street. The project is designed to begin at First Street and extend to Third Street. Phase 1 broke ground in July 2019 and is projected to be finished in May 2021, comprising one block of the project from 2nd Street to 3rd Street. https://gallupmainstreet.org/projects/coal-avenue-commons/