February 10, 2022
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT – Main Street Executive Director
The Board of Directors of the Gallup Main Street, Arts, and Cultural District (GMACD) is seeking applications for the position of Main Street Executive Director.
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, historic preservation, architecture, or related subject is preferred. Three to five-years’ experience in a similar position is preferred. Should have a professional interest and understanding of downtown revitalization. Should have excellent management, computer and communication skills. Working knowledge of the New Mexico and/ or National Main Street program, framework, and its delivery. Good social and teamwork skills are important, as well as an ability to work both independently and cooperatively with others.
The Main Street Executive Director provides a wide range of management and leadership duties in support of the Board’s direction to create a vibrant downtown and environment for business growth, while supporting the historic arts, culture, and sense of place in Downtown Gallup.
The position is housed at GMACD headquarters in Gallup, NM and will involve in-region and out-of-region travel on occasion. Applicants with experience, knowledge and working relationships in the Gallup area will receive preference.
Electronic applications are due by 4:00PM on Friday, March 18th, 2022. Applications consist of a letter of interest, completed application form, up-to-date resume, and three professional and/or academic references. Interview process may require writing samples and other demonstrations of skills appropriate to the position.
Gallup Main Street Executive Director – Job Description
Gallup MainStreet Arts & Cultural District, a New Mexico Main Street Affiliate organization, seeks a dynamic, experienced Main Street Executive Director to lead its downtown revitalization effort in close conjunction with its board of directors. This eight-year old MainStreet organization is located in Gallup, NM, a community of 22,000 located in the high desert of Western New Mexico amongst mesas, hogbacks perfect for hiking or biking, and nestled between the Navajo Nation and Zuni Pueblo.
Generally, the Gallup MainStreet/ACD Executive Director:
• Directs the downtown revitalization efforts under adopted Economic Transformation Strategies using the MainStreet Four Point Approach (Design, Promotion, Economic Positioning, and Organization)
• Works with volunteers to plan and implement revitalization and fund-raising projects
• Publicizes the work and accomplishments of MainStreet organization
• Provides support and direction to the MainStreet board
• Coordinates the operation of the MainStreet/ACD corporation and office
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and characteristics position:
• Project and event management skills, grantwriting and fund-raising experience
• Knowledge of nonprofit corporations and operations (including basic accounting tasks)
• Strong communications, public relations and community engagement skills
• Proficient with small business software/Microsoft Office suite
• Self-motivated, independent worker; outgoing, organized, multi-tasker
• Collaborative, facilitative work style
• A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, historic preservation, architecture or related subject is preferred. Three to five years experience in a similar position is preferred
• Physical stamina, reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
This position is an employee position. Salary range is $35-40,000 depending on experience and qualifications. The position provides a benefit stipend of $300 monthly and includes paid vacation and sick leave, travel and cell phone expenses and a flexible work schedule.
Applicants should be available to assume the duties by June 1st, 2022 or sooner if possible. To apply for the position, send a letter of interest and resume by email to JM DeYoung, Assistant City Manager at email@example.com. Position open until filled. Download Application Below.
Range of Duties to be Performed
The Executive Director is responsible for the following areas of work:
• In conjunction with the board of directors, developing and implementing strategies for preservation-based, community economic development in the MainStreet/ACD district under the MainStreet/ACD Four-Point Approach .
• Encourage a cooperative climate among the MainStreet/ACD organization, downtown stakeholders and local government to implement revitalization projects.
• Manage the administrative aspects ofthe MainStreet/ACD organization, including purchasing, record keeping, budget development, accounting, and required reporting.
• Assist downtown tenants or property owners with property improvement projects by providing or coordinating professional design consultation, and offering advice and guidelines for financing.
• Help the organization build strong and productive relationships with appropriate public agencies at the local and state levels. Represent the organization and community to important constituencies at the local, state, and national levels. Speak effectively on the program’s directions and work, mindful of the need to improve state and national economic development policies as they relate to traditional downtown districts.
Develop and maintain systems to track the progress of the MainStreet/ACD organization and to quantify downtown improvements.
• Attend all trainings, professional development activities, and planning meetings required by New Mexico MainStreet to fulfill the responsibilities specified under any Letter of Agreement or Memorandum of Understanding with the New Mexico Economic Development Department.
• Assist the board of directors with preparation for regular meetings and achievement of governance duties.
• In conjunction with the board Treasurer, the Executive Director monitors the annual program budget and maintains financial records and seeks funding for the organizations operations and projects.
• Cultivate and retain a diverse base of volunteers and partner organizations to assist the organization with fulfilling its mission.